It is possible to establish a permanently-named endowment fund that would provide ongoing annual funding in support of clinical programs, research, lectureships, studentships, professorships or chairs, or another area agreed upon by The Children’s Hospital Foundation of Manitoba. Terms of reference are established for each fund outlining the purpose of the endowment and the donor’s intention for the funds.
- Endowment funds are set up as investment accounts to earn income.
- A portion of the income earned is spent on the agreed-upon purpose each year. Each fund provides a stable and guaranteed source of income to support the identified purpose.
- The capital of the fund consists of the originally-donated sum plus any subsequent donations added to the fund. Typically the capital is not spent, but provision can be made to allow for encroachment under circumstances prescribed by the donor in the terms of reference.
- The purpose of the fund can be amended by the donor at any time should circumstances change, or alternate purposes may be provided within the terms of reference.
- Endowments can be named after one’s self or a loved one, and this gives The Children’s Hospital Foundation of Manitoba the opportunity to remember the person who is named each year when the funds are disbursed to the stated area of need. Or, endowment funds can be named in any reasonable manner chosen by the founding donor.
- Endowment funds are structured to grow with inflation so that the value of the disbursement remains competitive.
- The minimum required to start and name an endowment fund is $10,000. Our disbursement rate is reviewed periodically and is approximately 4%, or on a $10,000 endowment, about $400 a year.
- Endowments can be funded using any of the gift options for outright gifts, and may also be funded through gifts of bequests in wills, beneficiary designations of accounts such as pension funds, RRSP’s, RRIF’s, TFSA’s, annuities, or through donated gifts of life insurance policies or real-estate.
- Management of the investment of endowment funds is undertaken by the Investment Committee of the Board of Directors of the Children’s Hospital Foundation of Manitoba.
To discuss the Planned Giving option best for you,
please call us at (204) 787-4400 or email email@example.com.
Please Seek Expert Advice: The Children’s Hospital Foundation of Manitoba recommends strongly that you seek professional advice to ensure your financial goals are considered, your tax situation is reviewed, and your planned gift is tailored to your circumstances. The Children’s Hospital Foundation of Manitoba recommends that you consult your lawyer or estate planner regarding the specific wording for a gift in your will.