Children’s Hospital Foundation marks 50 years of impact
Invites community to join in the celebration
Winnipeg, MB – Fifty years ago a passionate and engaged group of hospital guild members and community supporters launched a dedicated foundation to fund excellence in pediatric research, treatment and care that would support the healthcare needs of children across the province. On May 17, 1971, Children’s Hospital Research Foundation of Manitoba was born. Thanks to the extraordinary legacy of generosity from the community over the past 50 years, the Foundation, now Children’s Hospital Foundation of Manitoba, has raised more than $150 million dollars to support sick and injured children.
From construction of the prairie’s only pediatric research centre – Children’s Hospital Research Institute of Manitoba (CHRIM) – to state-of-the-art facilities and equipment like the new Children’s Heart Centre, and innovative programs like Child Life at HSC Winnipeg Children’s Hospital, supporters of the Foundation ensure the dedicated providers and researchers can #continuecaringforkids.
“We are celebrating 50 years of community impact,” said Stefano Grande, President and CEO of Children’s Hospital Foundation of Manitoba. “That’s the impact that donor generosity and community partnerships have made to improve the lives of sick and injured children from Manitoba, Northwestern Ontario and Nunavut.”
The Foundation will celebrate the 50th anniversary this month and on throughout the year, and encourages the community to share in the celebration:
- Share a story! Heartfelt stories from former patient, donor, volunteer, healthcare provider and researchers’ experiences are being shared on the Foundation’s social media channels @CHFManitoba and on goodbear.ca. Anyone wishing to share a favourite memory of their time or their child’s time at HSC Children’s Hospital can do so at goodbear.ca/sharemystory.
- Win big while making a big impact! The Foundation is holding an anniversary 50-50 raffle. The prize pot is currently nearing $16,000 but has no limit how big it can get. Tickets are available at goodbear.ca/Impact5050. Draw date is May 17 at 12 noon.
- Safely snap and share some selfies (masked, distanced, and with clean hands, please!) as the Winnipeg sign at the Forks lights up with the purple, red, yellow and teal colours of the Children’s Hospital Foundation logo, and Dr. Goodbear shines at the top of the Manitoba Legislative Building on May 17. #50MoreBearHugs
- Participate as a community champion in support of Children’s Hospital Foundation of Manitoba. The Foundation has a goal of being part of 50 community events across the province and is well on the way. Learn how to a participate at goodbear.ca/ways-to-help/host-your-own-event.
- Be a good bear and purchase a Dr. Goodbear limited edition golden anniversary Dr. Goodbear stuffy and 50th anniversary Dr. Goodbear socks at any Manitoba Walmart or at goodlocal.ca. All proceeds from the sales of Dr. Goodbear Merchandise stays in Manitoba to help kids who need HSC Children’s Hospital. Items are selling out fast, so get yours today!
- Match your gift. Throughout this year, all new monthly donors can double their impact thanks to a matching donor. Monthly donations can be set up at goodbear.ca or by calling 204-787-4400.
“Supporters and volunteers, from individuals to families to organizations, have been the heart of the Foundation’s success over these last 50 years,” said Dean Schinkel, Chair of the Children’s Hospital Foundation Board. “We know from the stories people share, and the extraordinary generosity of their time and money, that the health of kids everywhere is important. We are grateful for this continued support and look forward to working with communities across the province to ensure kids everywhere continue to get the best care possible when they need the hospital.”
Barb McLean, who has volunteered for the Children’s Hospital Guild for 50 years says she has continued to do so to ensure the Foundation and hospital are there for future generations.
“You never know when you’re going to have a sick child, or a sick grandchild, or any child that’s a member of your family or close friends. It’s very important to have HSC Children’s, which is a world-class outlet,” said McLean.
New advances in pediatric medicine, surgical procedures, and medical equipment mean that childhood illnesses and injuries that at one time may have taken lives of children are now being treated successfully, and more kids will need ongoing care. The support of donors to the Foundation is more important than ever to ensure HSC Children’s and CHRIM can continue to provide the best care and research for kids whenever they need it in the future.
“We want to continue the innovations in pediatric research, specialized equipment and care programs for the next 50 years,” said Grande, “that’s why we are also asking for legacy donors to come forward this year. To anyone who has already put a gift in their will or plans to for Children’s Hospital Foundation of Manitoba to improve the lives of children in the future, thank you. We want to count you as part of our fifty legacy donor goal in this anniversary year.”
The Foundation encourages people interested in making a lasting impact for the future of pediatric care by leaving a legacy donation to be in touch to learn more during this anniversary month of May which is also Leave a Legacy month across Canada.
To learn more about the Foundation’s 50th anniversary plans, how you can get involved, or options to leave a legacy gift, visit goodbear.ca.
Celebrating 50 years of community impact (1971-2021)
Children’s Hospital Foundation of Manitoba is dedicated to ensuring that every child treated at HSC Winnipeg Children’s Hospital has the best care and experience possible.
Since 1971, with incredible donor support, the Foundation has raised more than $150 million to help sick and injured children from Manitoba, Northwestern Ontario, and Nunavut. Funds support important programs that bring comfort to sick children, life-saving equipment, and health research to improve the lives of children everywhere. Let’s make anything possible. Learn about your impact at goodbear.ca.
For more information:
Manager, Marketing & Communications, Children’s Hospital Foundation